Super bowl facts & history: Super Bowl is one of the popular events of sports which are held every year in order to find the champion team of the National Football League (NFL). It has even been found as the most-watched sporting games. Rather, it is coming up as the legendary symbol for the culture of America.
History of the Super Bowl
The NFL was formed officially in the year 1920. However, the Super Bowl exactly begins after a long 40 years.
It was 1960 when a businessman group was denied to own the football franchise by the NFL; they then launched their alternate league named as the American Football League (AFL). However, both emerged as rival competition for the players, supports and fans. Then, the owners in the year 1966 negotiated for merging the league by the year 1970.
It was 1966 when the first Super Bowl took place. The game was called as the AFL – NFL World Championship Game. It was further proposed by the AFL City Chief Owner to make use of the term “Super Bowl” for the Championship game.
After the merging of the league, NFL further split in two conferences, namely the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference (NFC). The champions of the two conferences play in the Super Bowl.
Some Fun Facts about the Super Bowl
You might be curious to know about the various fun relating facts about the Super Bowl Tournaments. However, some are enumerated below –
- The NBL puts restriction on the usage of the word “Super Bowl” for any sort of advertisement purpose. Instead, alternative words are being put in use by different company such as “Big Game”.
- Every champion team is being awarded the Vince Lombardi Trophy. This trophy is particularly named after the recognized coach. The coach belonged to the Green Bay Packers. They registered the first two Super Bowls in their name.
- Denver Broncos holds the highest record of losing the Super Bowl matches. They have lost five times.
- In the United States, the Sunday of Super Bowl is celebrated as the second-largest day for the food consumption. This day basically keeps in mind the thanksgiving object.
- Patriots have made the maximum number of appearance in the Super Bowl with the 11 recorded cameos.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers is a team with the maximum number of wins as they bagged victory title in six Super Bowl tournaments. However, there are three teams who have won the title five times each. They are Dallas Cowboys, San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots.
- The Super Bowl is identified by the Roman Numerals. The main reason is that the football season spreads in the two calendars years.
- Location for the Super Bowl matches changes every year. Moreover, no team till date has ever played a match in their home stadium.
- There are three teams who have never been to the Super Bowl, namely the Detroit Lions, the Houston Texans and the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- As per the Nielsen ratings, it has been found that more than one-third of the population of the United States shows interest for the Super Bowl. Even the records show that an average of 111.3 million people population was attracted by the Super Bowl LI.
- It is quite surprising that the 30sec commercial advertisements which air during the Super Bowl match cost even more than $5million.
- The day following the Big Game is referred to as the Super Sick Monday. Almost 14 million Americans are seen to be not present to work on that particular date.